At the Foot of Arjuno

At the Foot of Arjuno

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

With Gratitude

I decided that maybe if I entitled this anything remotely sounding Thanksgiving-y, it might be overkill...I've already read how some Facebook friends are tired of reading the "daily thankful" messages that have been so popular this month. However, I am in great need of cultivating some gratitude and I'm going to do it. Right here.

There are so many things for which I'm thankful...from the simple to the significant...I'm going to list as many things as I can think of...and I'm not going to sit here for 5 hours, so I may miss something, but these are a few of my favorite things (and people)

Kamar mandi. This is the name for bathrooms in Indonesia. There is a big thing for water. You take baths by pouring the water over you with a scooper. The traditional way has no hot water, no warm water...just regular. And it can be COLD. But it's fresh. My skin has never felt better! I LOVE my kamar mandi...one day I'll do a blog with all the different kinds of kamar mandi, from very simple to ornate...but for now, this is mine. I've scrubbed it on my hands and knees with a brush, but that sharp volcano dust doesn't want to budge. Had anybody told me that I'd LOVE a cold bath, I would have never believed it. Here it is common to bathe at least twice a day (it's even worked into day long meeting agendas) It's a ritual and it's a great one. I love it. And I'm thankful




Along the same lines as the kamar mandi, houses here are predominantly tile. If you don't have a bunch of clutter, cleaning is EASY and fun. You can slosh water everywhere and it's wonderful. Because I love to play in water - can't wash dishes without making a nice, wet mess - things that used to be a pain are now fun! I love all the tiles. I'm thankful for being able to maintain and clean and wonderful dwelling. 

I love the chickens that run free in the streets and everywhere. They make me happy and I'm thankful

I am thankful for the weather. It's never too hot or too cold, but it gets close to each one

I am thankful for the opportunity to share with wonderful people and to experience the beauty of God's love with a very special group of people

I am thankful for my neighbors who know me through and through and love me. They treat me like family and I am grateful for them.

I am thankful for the ability to buy delicious food, toiletries and household items for prices that are reasonable, if not absolutely too much so.

I am thankful for the opportunities to learn the language and to understand the culture better.

I am thankful for a stable internet connection when I have one

I am thankful for a cool cell phone that hasn't broken or done weird things

I am thankful that I've developed an appreciation for "sepak bola" (soccer) Viva Real Madrid! 

I'm thankful for the three wonderful cats that found me and loved me. They have enriched my life and Kartini, may she rest in peace, will forever hold a place in my heart. Siddhartha disappeared and never came back, but I hope that he is happy or at least that he didn't suffer.  Macan is a little wild boy with lots of friends and love - he comes for a little affection and then hits the road for more adventures...unfortunately, the only picture I have of him is of his unbelievably big sabre-teeth...he kind of looks like Kartini but without the white...and his head is bigger.

I am thankful for the delicious coffee that begins each day

I am thankful for my bicycle

I am thankful for the wonderful tailor who has made me beautiful things to wear and for the one who alters other things so that I can wear them

Now I'm going to close with some very serious things and call it a day. 

I am thankful for my health. Since I have been here, I had an upset stomach one day and a cold/flu...and that's all. That's what I'd have at home in 2 years with the love of God to keep me. I am thankful for my health.

I am thankful for my neighbors. They love me and make me feel so comfortable. I love them like family and I am thankful.

I am thankful for the family and friends who have been a constant source of encouragement, love and compassion. I have seen the Grace of God and I know His people. I am thankful.

I am thankful for my daughter who continues to amaze me with her determination, thoughtfulness and overall awesomeness. She is a blessing to me!

I am thankful for the love of my life who has shown me how to be a better person, more compassionate, more loving and less judgmental. I know why I am in Indonesia now. And I am thankful.

Most of all, I am thankful for my relationship with God and my faith. It's not always easy and it's certainly not always comfortable, but when I see and feel His movement, I am encouraged. I am thankful for the love and strength He gives me.

May we all take a minute to be thankful and express our gratitude, if for no other reason than to remind ourselves that as long as we're breathing, we have an opportunity to live. And I mean live. I am very thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving all - may yours be blessed with the love of friends and family, the warmth of grace and compassion, and the fun and food of the day. God bless you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment