At the Foot of Arjuno

At the Foot of Arjuno

Monday, November 28, 2011

Christmas 1988/2011

1988 was the first year that I spent Christmas away from my "real" family with a "new" family. My life was changing - complete upheaval - and it was the first year I was a mother. My priorities were shifting, my perspective on life was shifting and I was more than a little anxious about my future.

It is said that the more things change, the more they stay the same and oddly enough I find myself in a situation similar to the one in 1988.

Even though my life is changing, I am surrounded by so many people who love and care about me, who are looking out for me and who truly have taken on a huge responsibility to see me through this first year.  I am eternally grateful.

An added challenge this year, as opposed to 1988, is that I am out of my cultural context. Signs of the season abound in the US and many churches in my native tongue are everywhere. Here, there are few symbols of the season and it'll be necessary to be more focused and intentional to engage and participate in Advent and Christmas.

Because of my experience in 1988, I welcome this Christmas with open arms. I learned some things in 1988 that fortified me, nurtured me and planted the seeds of a spiritual awakening.  I can only imagine the gifts and blessings of this season.  It'll be different, but it will be exactly what it's supposed to be.

Gloria in Excelsis Deo!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this thoughtful reflection on being away from everything we hold dear during our major holiday. At a time when we revere traditions & family, you have neither. Yet you have something we don't: a chance to enjoy the season intact without the American consumer hype & frenzy. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am happy that I missed the deluge of Christmas stuff at the same time as Halloween - you're right! I'm also happy that I haven't had to hear Christmas music for a month already BUT...when I did go into to store (and American one, at that - Ace Hardware is like a fancy place here...maybe like Restoration Hardware or something) and looked at the Christmas stuff, it was ALL consumerist/secular (save a tiny plastic nativity scene ($10!?!?!) and an ambiguous angel here or there) It is interesting, for sure, and I will learn a lot. :-)

    ReplyDelete