At the Foot of Arjuno

At the Foot of Arjuno

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Opportunities and Challenges (Teaching English in Indonesia)

In January of 2011, I arrived in Yogyakarta, Indonesia to teach English, assist with teacher training and provide "native speaker" insights. The following are some reflections about the opportunities and challenges I've experienced, as well as a few tips that I believe will help Indonesian people improve their English mastery.

My background includes coming from a family of educators and people who believe in life-long learning. Additionally, I received my undergraduate degree from a college (now university) that focused its educational goals based on the liberal arts education model. The goal of that kind of education is to create a "whole" person; one who knows a bit about just about everything and most of all in the chosen field of study. I transferred schools twice (transferring from one university to another is rather uncommon, as best I can tell, in Indonesia). Each time one transfers, a loss of credits is bound to happen. In short, I took many more classes than are reflected in my major (my major was political science, but I took a hefty load of classes in the areas of biology/natural sciences and psychology, too)

This background information is important because it shows the way that I view education. We are not supposed to only "know" some things, but we are supposed to cultivate a love of learning, a curiosity and a desire to understand. We not only learn these things in books, but we communicate with others, we read and discuss opinions that differ from our own and we have an acute awareness that anyone who purports to have all the answers or claims to know everything probably doesn't.

During my short career in teaching which officially began at Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte, NC USA, the people I've taught ranged in age from about 18 through late 40's (never too good with determining ages, but I believe that to be about ball park). I treat my students as adults with a passion for learning. I want to impart as much enthusiasm, encouragement and empowerment to not only use English well and with individualized mastery, but also with an attitude towards expanded learning, in general.

A common adage is "Knowledge is power". It's not meant to be used as an oppressive power towards other people, but a freeing and liberating state that can open doors, innovate, and ultimately, change the world. (At least that's my positive take on it)

I teach with that goal in mind. Empowerment through education. What it means is that the student takes some responsibility for her or his education; my main job is to facilitate, to share and provide resources, as well as to encourage communication and provide a safe space for a meaningful exchange to enhance learning for everybody.

This is a relatively new concept here in Indonesia, I think. I remember when I was younger, often we learned passively; the teacher lectured and we took notes. It's easy that way. All one has to do is listen and pay attention. This is great for tired students, but maybe not the most effective way to learn. I took a 4 year "sabbatical" from university and my! How things had changed when I returned! The teaching methods had evolved into "active participation models" including group work, pair work, moving tables and desks around the room to facilitate such and I did. not. like. it.

However, I'd be wrong if I told you that I didn't learn during that process and I have to say that it enhanced my experience.

People in Indonesia have mostly been studying English since junior high. The people I've taught here fall into roughly the same age category that I mentioned earlier and are already in the university system, so I believe it's rather safe to assume that they've already been exposed to English grammar rules and the foundation for learning to use English.

I'm not a grammar teacher, but I know how to speak and write correctly. My goal in teaching here is not a return to the basics (because I'm sure that's been more than adequately covered), but to empower students with skills for mastery.

There are some pretty important things about using English that make it easier to master. Firstly, we read. We begin reading when we're children  and it never ends. Memorizing all of our wild and woolly grammar rules becomes unnecessary because through reading, we learn to use the language correctly rather than maintain a mental reference of each applicable grammar rule. Authentic materials are best (things written for and by native speakers with that audience in mind) So, rule number 1 for enhancing your English? Read. And read a lot. (If you'd like recommendations specific to your interests, please ask in the comment section)

1. Read

Secondly, English is a very expressive language with MANY words. It's nice to have an expansive vocabulary, but more important is to know how words are used and what the implied meaning is for each word. "Vow", "oath" and "pledge" mean roughly the same thing, but are used very differently. Reading will help to master than kind of usage, but understanding how the language works is also very important. Critical thinking skills that include a desire to not only "know" something, but to understand it fully, are woven into the ways we use the language...who? What? Why? When? Where? How? When reading authentic English materials, it's good to "create a dialogue" (thanks to a former student for that awesome imagery) with the writing asking "Why is the author sharing this? What is the purpose of this sentence? Who does he/she expect will read this piece? Is it written to influence or inform? So, critical thinking skills are mandatory for mastering English with the power of an educated native speaker.



2. Understand the concept of Critical Thinking

Lastly now, but only because I can't think of anything more important at the moment and these 3 are, by far, the most important tips to me, HAVE FAITH IN YOURSELF. Be confident, not arrogant. Use the language. Practice as much as you can. Realize that English is a global language - there are different ways to pronounce words, even within the native speaking population. Don't be hard on yourself, just keep trying. Listen to music in English, watch movies, expose yourself. Be willing to grow.

Many people are focused on taking some version of English aptitude test, whether it's the IELTS or TOEFL (especially the iBT TOEFL), the main thing tested is HOW WELL YOU COMMUNICATE YOUR IDEAS. Of course good grammar facilitates that, but those tests are NOT testing how perfect your English is, but how well you can use English to communicate your own ideas and to understand the ideas of others. Therefore, give yourself a break. Don't be so hard on yourself. Many native speakers make grammatical errors! So, number three is to love yourself.

3. Have confidence, don't be too hard on yourself and don't give up!

There are so many good resources available on the web that I can't even begin to list them here. If you'd like specific references, please post in the comment section and I'll do the best I can.

Best wishes and remember, English is for everybody!







No comments:

Post a Comment