At the Foot of Arjuno

At the Foot of Arjuno

Sunday, May 22, 2011

It Wasn't the End of the World as We Knew It - Or Was It?

I grew up playing sports.  Full disclosure:  Maybe the concept of true teamwork was a foreign idea to me at times, especially because I was, for all intents and purposes, more of a loner the rest of the time - but still.  I learned the concept of sportsmanship and realize that its purpose goes beyond the field or court, but should direct us on how to successfully interact with others, even when they play for a different team..  That concept is sorely missing from some Facebook postings on what transpired, or didn't transpire as it were, related to the "End of The World/May 21" prediction set in motion by a fringe Christian association in the US.

Do I believe that we will know when the end of the world will arrive? I do not. HOWEVER. I do not find myself to be in a position of superiority to those who do, either.  Most of what I know of this situation, honestly, is from Facebook posts (as that's the closest I get to the "pulse" of what's happening in the US, aside from the online news I read)

I am disappointed with some pages that attempt to represent the "Christian Left" in an attempt to counterbalance those who often dominate the popular idea of what it means to be an American Christian, the "Christian Right".

There's a lot of "nanny-nanny boo-boo-ism" permeating the pages of the those who strive to represent the Christian Left.  I'm completely down with Freedom of Speech.  As a matter of fact, I keep a portable soapbox in my pocketbook for any occasion that avails itself for me to jump on it and ramble on BUT.  I also agree with Spiderman's Uncle in his apt description of what to do with great power (in this case, I mean the power of Freedom of Speech)

With great power lies great responsibility 

Additionally, If you're not adding anything thoughtful, personal or well-intentioned into the marketplace of ideas, maybe you should just be quiet and get on with living your own life. That's my take on the cultural adage known to many of us "If you don't have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut".  Sometimes un-nice things MUST be said, but they'll drop dead on the floor if not done in a thoughtful, well-intentioned way.

And now I'll put my soapbox back into my purse for the time being.

Anybody can throw rocks - anyone can create meaningless "soundbites" and anyone can jump on the reactionary bandwagon wagon and draw knee-jerk conclusions or even revel in the misguidance of others....but is that who "we" want to be?

I will quickly tell you that I don't want any part of that "we" - none.  Don't we have enough reactionary freakazoids??? And what makes us different if we do the same things?

So, I think it's best to be a good sport - not to revel when a game is won; not to taunt the other team with jeering chants afterwards...it's not about being right or wrong, winning or losing, but focusing on the kind of "we" we want to be and then actually trying to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment